Lilac Stink
Aug. 1st, 2026 11:10 pmWoke up this morning with a blinding headache and nauseous. I haven't felt like that in years. Rolled over, went back to sleep and slept until nearly noon. Felt a little better and by two or so, felt a lot better. Have no idea what happened but that was weird.
x-x-x
Allow me to make one of the most first world-y complaints ever.
Here at Mr. Landlord's, we have a trash chute in the hallway. You have a small trash pail in your apartment's kitchen and bathroom, you used to put the plastic bags you got from the grocery store as liners, fill up the plastic bag, tie it up and toss it down the trash chute. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. It is actually a great way not to get bugs because at best, anything in the kitchen trash is there for less than two or three days.
Then New York state made plastic grocery bags illegal. One of the supermarkets near me started selling the packs of store branded plastic bags they had - $1 for 25-bags. One of the supermarkets by the beach club just said "forget that noise" and used the plastic bags for another couple of years. Someone finally ratted them out.
I finally ran out of the store branded bags earlier this year. The Target across the street from Mr. Landlord's had really pricey small trash pail liners (the big ones were cheaper because nobody buys them). Saw that Amazon had them for about 60% of the price so I ordered.
I did not see that the liners were "scented". Allegedly, they smell like lilacs but they really smell like chemicals. And by smell, I mean I can smell the liner in a trash pail in the living room, separated by a full wall from the kitchen. When I put the liner in the trash pail, my hands smelled. I always washed my hands after putting the liner in anyway (wash your effin' hands) and they still smelled. I never used them in my tiny bathroom because it took three days to get the kitchen to stop stinking (only to start stinking again with a new liner), I can't imagine how overwhelming the bathroom smell would be.
Went back to Amazon, found that you can order 100 unbranded plastic grocery store bags for about what I paid for the super stinky liners. Did that. What a difference that made.
x-x-x
Vincent Pastore, Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero on The Sopranos died in his sleep at age 80. Pastore made a good career playing mob guys on TV and in movies. He also sold his family's red sauce, Vinny Pastore's Italian Sauce.
x-x-x
Today's long reads:
As Mets honor 1986 champions, the uplifting power of a skyward glove still resonates. When the 1986 Mets finally won the World Series, reliever Jesse Orosco threw his glove into the air. The article is about what happened to the glove. (gift article)
x-x-x
The Red Sox are playing the Dodgers. Two historic franchises. Now I know both teams have multiple uniforms (the Yankees are the only team left with one road/one home uniform) but the Dodgers tonight were wearing these off-white uniforms with a blue stripe down the side of the uniform pants. The numbers are odd. Why? Look like the Dodgers – it is one of the best uniforms in baseball – don't mess with that.
x-x-x
The Yankees traded reliever Camilo Doval to Pittsburgh for two minor leaguers. Doval was a trade deadline pick-up last season. The Yankees thought they could harness his electric stuff the way they did with Luke Weaver. Instead, he was nibbling around the plate, giving up runs and just being terrible. He became the team's 10/10 pitcher – the guy you put into the game when you're up by 10 or down by 10.
They still need relief help – trading away Doval didn't help -
x-x-x
Today's moment of happiness: Sound up.
Off to bed.
Take Care
Mara
x-x-x
Allow me to make one of the most first world-y complaints ever.
Here at Mr. Landlord's, we have a trash chute in the hallway. You have a small trash pail in your apartment's kitchen and bathroom, you used to put the plastic bags you got from the grocery store as liners, fill up the plastic bag, tie it up and toss it down the trash chute. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. It is actually a great way not to get bugs because at best, anything in the kitchen trash is there for less than two or three days.
Then New York state made plastic grocery bags illegal. One of the supermarkets near me started selling the packs of store branded plastic bags they had - $1 for 25-bags. One of the supermarkets by the beach club just said "forget that noise" and used the plastic bags for another couple of years. Someone finally ratted them out.
I finally ran out of the store branded bags earlier this year. The Target across the street from Mr. Landlord's had really pricey small trash pail liners (the big ones were cheaper because nobody buys them). Saw that Amazon had them for about 60% of the price so I ordered.
I did not see that the liners were "scented". Allegedly, they smell like lilacs but they really smell like chemicals. And by smell, I mean I can smell the liner in a trash pail in the living room, separated by a full wall from the kitchen. When I put the liner in the trash pail, my hands smelled. I always washed my hands after putting the liner in anyway (wash your effin' hands) and they still smelled. I never used them in my tiny bathroom because it took three days to get the kitchen to stop stinking (only to start stinking again with a new liner), I can't imagine how overwhelming the bathroom smell would be.
Went back to Amazon, found that you can order 100 unbranded plastic grocery store bags for about what I paid for the super stinky liners. Did that. What a difference that made.
x-x-x
Vincent Pastore, Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero on The Sopranos died in his sleep at age 80. Pastore made a good career playing mob guys on TV and in movies. He also sold his family's red sauce, Vinny Pastore's Italian Sauce.
x-x-x
Today's long reads:
As Mets honor 1986 champions, the uplifting power of a skyward glove still resonates. When the 1986 Mets finally won the World Series, reliever Jesse Orosco threw his glove into the air. The article is about what happened to the glove. (gift article)
x-x-x
The Red Sox are playing the Dodgers. Two historic franchises. Now I know both teams have multiple uniforms (the Yankees are the only team left with one road/one home uniform) but the Dodgers tonight were wearing these off-white uniforms with a blue stripe down the side of the uniform pants. The numbers are odd. Why? Look like the Dodgers – it is one of the best uniforms in baseball – don't mess with that.
x-x-x
The Yankees traded reliever Camilo Doval to Pittsburgh for two minor leaguers. Doval was a trade deadline pick-up last season. The Yankees thought they could harness his electric stuff the way they did with Luke Weaver. Instead, he was nibbling around the plate, giving up runs and just being terrible. He became the team's 10/10 pitcher – the guy you put into the game when you're up by 10 or down by 10.
They still need relief help – trading away Doval didn't help -
x-x-x
Today's moment of happiness: Sound up.
They have a Little Free Library in their neighborhood and surprised this kid with a book he really wanted. His reaction is priceless. pic.twitter.com/JOb2NPDPb8
— Dudes Posting Their W’s (@DudespostingWs) July 31, 2026
Off to bed.
Take Care
Mara